Sunday, June 7, 2009

Empoprise-IE News - 7 June 2009

Empoprise-IE News


The news letter for Empoprise-IE - An Empoprises vertical information service for Inland Empire (California) news.



Welcome to Empoprise-IE News

Things continue in the Inland Empire, and I continue to document the things that strike my fancy. If you have any suggestions or comments, contact me at the empoprises email address at gmail dot com.

Special Features

Back in May 2008, I blogged about how Howard Snider, former mayor of Ontario, showed up at my door and sold us tickets for a Kiwanis pancake breakfast and car show. I wasn't able to attend that year - I was in Alabama when the breakfast occurred - but Howard Snider appeared at our door again this year, and my father in law and I went to the breakfast on Saturday June 6. No car show this year, and the "orange juice" that one of the kids was handing out was actually the liquid that the astronauts drink, but we still had a good time, and the pancakes and sausage were good. There was a band, and contestants from some beauty pageant were milling about the place, and I was talking with two women who got free breakfast tickets from a trophy business that co-sponsored the breakfast.

Looking forward to next year.

Behind the Scenes

I can't think of any big things "behind the scenes" regarding the blog, so I'll just pick out some "behind the scenes" information regarding me - or, more accurately, a member of my family. I make a policy of respecting the privacy of my family members, so let's refer to this family member as FamilyMember. FamilyMember could not join my father in law and myself at the Kiwanis breakfast because FamilyMember was taking the Scholastic Aptitude Test, something which took up all of the morning on June 6 - a day that happened to be FamilyMember's birthday. Things got better for FamilyMember from there, since we went to get FamilyMember's birthday present - a MacBook. See this FriendFeed thread for an account of the purchase experience. But FamilyMember had to leave the new Mac for a short while, to go to Disneyland. You see, Disneyland (and Disney World) allow you to register to receive free park admission on your birthday. Since FamilyMember has an Annual Passport, FamilyMember was eligible for an alternative award, a gift card in an amount equal to the daily admission price. So FamilyMember had a wonderful birthday.

Upcoming

A number of posts are coming up over the next few days. For example, many of you are familiar with train systems that allow you to get around in major cities, but did you know that early in the 20th century, there was a train system that allowed you to get around in...Pomona? I link to another blogger's writings on this, and then provide some additional information.

And there's more coming up for those of you who want to know the latest about the Inland Empire, or at least my view of it...

blog comments powered by Disqus