Wednesday, February 23, 2011

In which I confess my local cluelessness

I was at the Daily Bulletin web site, reading David Allen's article about the new cell phone that he recently bought - his first. Allen spoke of the reactions that he received when he told people that he didn't have a cell phone - in short, people thought that he was a weird specimen from a prior era.

But I ended up discovering that Allen is more clued in about things than I am.

To the side of Allen's column, the Bulletin included a link to an article announcing the resignation of Upland's mayor. The article, written late in the morning on February 22, started as follows:

Upland Mayor John Pomierski resigned this morning from his position as mayor, according to an Upland news release.

I wondered why Pomierski resigned, and the answer came in the fourth paragraph.

Pomierski has been identified as the target of an FBI investigation into alleged corruption in the city of Upland.

In June of last year, FBI and IRS agents confiscated records from Upland City Hall and Pomierski's home, where his construction business is based. They also took records from J.H. Builders in Upland and Venture West Capital in Rancho Cucamonga.


Read the rest of the story for more details. The substance of the story is no surprise - corruption in a city is not unknown - but the surprising thing is that I, living in a city right next to Upland, knew nothing of this. The story's been going on for several months, and I didn't know about it.

It's sad when I don't realize what's going on in my own neighborhood.

And I even have a cell phone. And a netbook.

blog comments powered by Disqus