Thursday, January 1, 2009

Empoprise-In Evanston??? (How my Senate campaign may affect this blog)

Happy New Year to all Empoprise-IE readers!

As you know, the "IE" in Empoprise-IE stands for the Inland Empire (of California), an area roughly 35-70 miles east of Los Angeles that has assumed its own identity.

However, there's a chance that I may need to change the purpose of this blog. Yesterday, while blogging under my alter ego of Ontario Emperor, I began speculating about unrealistic goals for 2009 and decided that my unrealistic goal for 2009 was to secure an appointment as a U.S. Senator from the state of Illinois. After reviewing the Constitutional and political issues related to Barack Obama's former Senate seat, I shared something from the Ontario Emperor FriendFeed:

Perhaps I should set unrealistic goals for myself for 2009....I want to become a U.S. Senator from Illinois in 2009. (Even though I haven't lived there since 1970, I'm not rich, and I'm a registered Republican.)

As I started my campaign, I immediately realized some of the political compromises that I would have to make to appeal to my new constituency. For example, when I encoutered a site that claimed that Des Plaines, Illinois was the location of the first McDonalds, I faced a problem:

Now I happen to know that this is untrue, since the original McDonald's was actually established in San Bernardino, California, just east of where I live - I mean used to live. But when I become Illinois Senator, I'll obviously have to support the claim of Des Plaines.

Ah, politics.


But the ramifications of this campaign may even affect this very blog. What happens if I - I mean when I - get named to the U.S. Senate post? Isn't it going to be silly for me to maintain a blog about a place thousands of miles away from my wonderful home state of Illinois?

Then I hit upon a solution. I spent several years of my childhood living in Evanston, Illinois, so I'll just simply keep the same name for this blog, but tell everyone that "IE" stands for "in Evanston" and be done with it.

Ah, political expediency. I haven't done it yet, but don't be surprised if I do.

blog comments powered by Disqus