Monday, October 27, 2008

Shake, shake, shake just got a little more complicated

Perhaps you saw my October 18 post regarding the ShakeOut Drill on November 13. If you're not familiar with the ShakeOut Drill, it will be a simulation of a 7.8 earthquake. Numerous organizations and businesses, including my employer, are planning to participate in this drill at 10:00 am on the 13th.

Because of the earthquake threat in this area, I was really looking forward to it.

But I recently realized that I will not be at work that day.

I will be a Bridges Auditorium in Claremont, as part of the ensemble for the Childrens' Theatre Experience production of "High School Musical."

Our first field trip performance is scheduled to begin at 9:15. The drill will occur at 10:00.

What if the Claremont Colleges are participating in the drill?

TROY


Isn't the author of a musical like the playmaker in basketball?

KELSI


Playmaker?

TROY


The person who makes everyone else look good. Without you, there is no show. You're the playmaker here, Kelsi.

KELSI


I am? ... You want to hear the way that song is supposed to sound?

[THE BUILDING BEGINS TO SHAKE. KELSI'S PIANO FALLS TO THE GROUND. IN THE AUDIENCE, TEACHERS GUIDE THEIR STUDENTS SAFELY OUT THE SIDE DOORS. THE ACTING ENSEMBLE FLEES TO THE PARKING LOT JUST BEFORE BRIDGES AUDITORIUM COLLAPSES.]

TROY


Uh, maybe not. Perhaps I should just stick with the basketball team.

blog comments powered by Disqus