Tuesday, June 3, 2008

When I saw the Harlem Globetrotters in the Inland Empire

Several years ago, my brother in law arranged for us and our kids to go see the Harlem Globetrotters. They were playing at Cal State San Bernardino, at the Coussoulis Arena, so we didn't have to go far.

Now for someone of my age, it was an interesting experience, because these weren't the Globetrotters that I remembered. I had never seen them live, but I had seen them on TV in all their Hanna Barbera glory. Now when I saw the Globetrotters, Meadowlark and Curly were on the floor. Well, Meadowlark and Curly weren't on the floor in San Bernardino. I can't remember who their star player was during the game, but he certainly was entertaining.

The other thing that I remember about the game was the extra entertainment. Try to picture the surroundings. We weren't at the Staples Center or Carnegie Hall, but in a gymnasium at a university campus - I'm not knocking the university, or Mr. or Ms. Coussoulis, but I'm just noting that it's not necessarily an A-list destination. In this location, we not only got to see the Harlem Globetrotters, but also Myra, who was riding a wave of popularity at the time. My daughter may have even gotten her autograph, I can't remember.

But the thing that counts is that everyone had a good time. We enjoyed the Globetrotters' play, we enjoyed Myra's singing, and we went home happy.

But if you wanted to see the Harlem Globetrotters on June 3, 2008, it's too late:

HARLEM GLOBETROTTERS

ANTARES
Route de Tours
72000 LE MANS

Le mardi 03 juin 2008 à 20:00
Basketball


But they'll be in Dijon on the 4th.

blog comments powered by Disqus