Friday, May 6, 2011

Wow, that sounds appealing - duties but no power

Years ago, I served as an alternate on a jury. It was the worst possible situation - I had to sit through the entire trial, but I wasn't allowed to go in the jury room and shoot my mouth off regarding whether the accused should be punished or not. (The bailiff was kind enough to phone me and tell me of the jury's decision afterwards.)

I was reminded of this when I read this call for a volunteer:

City officials [in Ontario] are seeking a non-voting student representative to the Recreation and Parks Commission.

What a way to begin. Even before you're told what the job is, you're told that you'll have no power. But you will have responsibilities:

The duties will include attending regular and special meetings of the Recreation and Parks Commission. The regular meetings are held every fourth Monday of every month at 6 p.m.

The student shall express opinions and participate in discussions regarding matters that affect recreation and park programs and facilities in Ontario.


But the student, like an alternate juror, won't have any say in what the Commission does.

Now arguments can be made that this is a wonderful experience, and maybe the student can get some school credit or something like that.

But it doesn't sound all that enticing.

blog comments powered by Disqus