Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Omnitrans rate hike proposal

Before I moved to the Inland Empire, I lived in Portland, Oregon, which even at the time had an excellent public transportation system. (They've since added light rail.) In fact, the transportation system was so good that I didn't even own a car, because I didn't need one (even with all the temp jobs that I was working after graduating from college.) So when I moved to the Inland Empire, I took care to choose an apartment that was near an Omnitrans bus line that could get me to work. In the end I bought a used car, and I haven't been on an Omnitrans bus in years, but it's still a fairly good transportation system for a small suburban area - make that a large suburban area.

Well, the Daily Bulletin has noted that Omnitrans is asking for a fare increase, beginning in September of this year.

Omnitrans plans to hike regular bus fares from $1.35 to $1.50 per ride. The rate for seniors and disabled riders would go from $0.55 to $0.60 per ride.

One-day passes also would increase from $3.50 to $4 for full-fare riders. The same service for seniors and the disabled would rise from $1.60 to $1.85.


More here. This will be discussed at a meeting on Wednesday, June 3. The agenda for this meeting (and other meetings) can be found here.

blog comments powered by Disqus