Monday, March 23, 2009

Paramount-Pomona???

An interesting item from a David Allen reader:

Sometime during the past few weeks, a mistake has appeared in Google Maps: The place name 'Paramount' has appeared on the west side of Pomona. I've lived in this part of town for more than 50 years, and Paramount has never been a local name.

I nosed around, and it's not just Google Maps. CitySquares:

Welcome to CitySquares, your local city guide to Paramount, Pomona! Take a few minutes to browse around and discover the neighborhoods and the businesses in Paramount, Pomona, as well as local news and events.

And then there's this:

We are # 1 Water Damage Restoration Company Proudly Serving Paramount, Narod, Sunsweet, Montclair, San Dimas in Pomona, CA

Now Pomona, Montclair, and San Dimas are local city names, and Narod is a historical name. I'm not familiar with Sunsweet.

Paramount, of course, is a city over 30 miles southwest of Pomona.

But then I found two things that made a bit more sense. Here's a SuperPages business listing:

Paramount Acme Duplex Inc
Pomona, CA 91766
(909) 397-9003


And then I found this MySpace profile for a Cal Poly Pomona student who originally comes from Paramount, and therefore lists her hometown as "Paramount/Pomona."

Though I hope that Google, SuperPages, etc. aren't getting their information from city names on MySpace profiles.

However, at least I now know that I can go to Pomona and become a movie star.

PARAMOUNT PICTURES is in the Services, N.E.C. industry in POMONA, CA. This company currently has approximately 250 to 500 employees and annual sales of $75,000,000 to $199,999,999.

386 S THOMAS ST
POMONA, CA 91766
Phone: (323) 956-5779
Key Facts
Location Type: Branch
Industry: Services, N.E.C.
Ownership: Public
Sales Range: $75,000,000 to $199,999,999
Employees: 250 to 500



View Larger Map

I knew Lindsay Lohan was hanging out in this area at one point, but I thought she was doing community service. I guess she was working.

blog comments powered by Disqus