Saturday, February 21, 2009

College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific

It's not really a secret that I enjoy taking material out of one of my blogs, and somehow shoehorning it into as many of my other blogs as possible.

Therefore, when I wrote a February 10 post in my personal blog about osteopathic medicine (a followup to a 2007 post), and when that post subsequently received some attention from a "DO Fan," I immediately thought to myself: "Hey, my Inland Empire blog is a little light these days. Can I work this into the Inland Empire blog?"

As it turns out, I could...well, when I use my fairly elastic definition of the Inland Empire, anyway.

Because, you see, Pomona has its own college of osteopathic medicine:

The College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific (COMP) supports Western University of Health Sciences in its mission to increase the availability of Physicians to serve the needs of the people living in the western region of the United States. The College provides the educational basis for internship and residencies in all medical specialties. The academic environment fosters respect for the uniqueness of humanity. Students are provided with classroom and clinical experiences designed to prepare them to function as competent, caring, life long learners with a distinctive Osteopathic Philosophy.

The college started in 1977 and has subsequently been reorganized into a university, the Western University of Health Sciences.

According to U.S. News and World Report, as of 2007 the college had 39 full-time faculty, 829 students, and a faculty-student ratio of 0.0. (Perhaps this is one of the reasons why my alma mater does not cooperate with U.S. News and World Report.)

blog comments powered by Disqus